Because of that, I get a lot people coming to me for "2 cents worth" of advice or help. (I'm pretty sure this saying started off because the person was being passive aggressive about getting paid for his help instead of free advice right? That's how business consultant make a living right?) I'm not complaining given how
preachy much I like to share be it online of offline.
|I don't believe I'm god but okay.|
So what are some of the things people want from me? It's pretty much the same thing in different forms;
- What should I blog about if I wanna start a blog?
- I'm starting a business, can you take a look at my business plan and give me some feedback?
- I need some social media help for my business, do you think you can help me take a look?
- I need to look for a specific blogger to endorse this product, any idea who is good?
- I got a client with X product, do you know anyone in the industry that I can place the product there and sell?
- I'm now working for X product, can you help me blog for free? (This is a long story but TL;DR, I do help that base on case to case basis)
Or the even more interesting and less work ones will be like
- Eh, I saw you lost weight, how ah?
- That time you blog about xxxx product, really so good ah?
- My friend is single for very long already, you got anyone to intro?
- You always buy things from Taobao right? How do I buy ah? (Still top of the list)
- My wedding is coming, can you help me be the emcee (I'm usually okay with this if we are close friends but I've friends who make me do this and erm not even close and never ever seen them ever since wedding type. MUAHAH!)
- Your wife just got pregnant right.. can you
help mine toobuy insurance from me for your kid lah.
I mean the list goes on and on and on and I would like to think I'm a very helpful person and try my best to help everyone but I think some times there's only so much a friend can do especially when some of the things you are "asking for favour" is my job. Like I wouldn't go to my friend who sells the famous prawn noodle and ask "eh, can teach me how you cook noodles?" or "can help and give me one bowl for free?" People have to understand that services/man hours IS a cost too no?
|My fav 545 Whampoa Prawn Noodles at Tekka Centre. I always pay for my own noodles hor!|
Of course, I too ask for help from some friends some times but mostly to erm, get my stuff proof read because grammar force is a little weak. I am not saying that we shouldn't help people in fact I always believe in paying it forward but it just doesn't make sense when these people ask for help from you but when their business or company has budget they will just go to other people to do a "proper job". What happened to my advice that brought you there? Help is help, abuse is abuse. Do not grey the line and abuse people just because they are nice lah!
That being said, one of my favourite type of "help" is actually be on videos! No lah, not like because I'm attention whore (says the blogger) but because you know I really enjoy being in front of the camera. So recently I've started some mini projects here and there. Some pulled through some didn't and here's one of those that happened!
See, funny how small this world is. Volvo used to be my client, in fact I was on the team that started their Social Media journey. So I actually know their cars pretty well. Years after that I'm actually doing a video review and the guys behind 201 productions is just a friend's friend who needed help looking for a chatty blogger. It was a really fun experience lah!
Eh, don't get me wrong hor, I am really not talking about you lah. And if you wanna ask me for help you can still ask okay?