What is that one drink that reminds you of Chinese New Year? Given at our age you might probably guess my answer would be one of those typical larger beer considering how much an alcoholic I
made myself look like online am but sorry to disappoint, my answer is actually Orange Soda.
I guess this goes way back to childhood days. Drinking carbonated drinks and soda ain't a privilege I had when I was a kid. Not just because I was a fat boy or my mum read something off a stupid blog that says too much sugar is bad for kids but simply because to prevent me from getting a bad cough.
That aside, Orange soda always reminds me of Happy Occasions. Happy occasions like Chinese New Year visits (I used to like it when I was younger), good old "Bai Toh", the nostalgic Chinese "Hui Guan" or 7th Month dinners as well as wedding dinners in a what we would probably call "old skool" Chinese Restaurant now. (Ya, one of those restaurant above NTUC Fairprice back in those days. A place where your wife-to-be now would probably become ex-gf if you suggest a wedding at those restaurant in the year 2016)
So here comes the question, WHICH IS THAT ONE ORANGE SODA YOU HAVE BEEN DRINKING? Do they even taste different?
|From left to right, F&N, Fanta and Mirinda. Same same but different.|
So we did a simple taste test the other day during a house party. We pour the 3 different drinks into tasting cups and ask them to identify which is actually which. Below are some of the findings:
1. F&N has the most unique taste. Almost 90% of "focus group" managed to identify its taste
2. Only a mere 5% managed to get all the 3 brands right
3. Fanta apparently has the most coloring - it left stains on the plastic cup there after
4. Strangely there was no consistency in description of taste. (For example which is sweeter, which is more tasty, which is more gassy. Nobody could actually pinpoint what are the differences in taste.)
5. F&N has the lightest color, you can actually see the difference just from a quick glance. (I bet you are looking at the picture above one more time.)
6. No one actually have a preference on which orange soda is better. Orange is Orange
7. I personally prefers Fanta because erm, it taste right.
So which do you prefer?
P.S. Smith Leong Paid for his own orange soda. This is not an Ad.